The Conflict Resolution Center is dedicated to providing more cooperative and less formal methods of resolving conflict. Our services and training programing include mediation, facilitation, and parent eduction.
The CRC improves our community by:
- Increasing the awareness and use of alternative dispute resolution;
- Providing education and training on alternative dispute resolution and communication skills to individuals, families, organizations, governments and businesses;
- Ensuring the availability of qualified mediators and other resources for the resolution of conflicts;
- Aiding individuals and families, neighborhoods and communities with the prevention of conflicts;
- Promoting an atmosphere of tolerance, cooperation and acceptance;
- Transforming conflicts into opportunities for understanding and growth.
The Counties of Alleghany, Botetourt, Buena Vista, Franklin, Lexington/Rockbridge, and Roanoke as well as the cities of Roanoke, and Salem.
10 Tips for Resolving Conflict:
- Choose a good time and place to talk
- Commit to finding a solution that satisfies each person’s needs
- Listen carefully and restate what you’ve heard
- Remain calm and avoid becoming defensive
- Talk about the issues, not the people
- Use “I statements”
- Acknowledge points of agreement
- Describe your emotions
- Be specific in describing what you need
- Be open to creative solutions